Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations across the world. With places like Pattaya, Bangkok and the famed floating markets, Thailand ensures a memorable experience to those travelling solo or with friends and family. When planning a holiday in Thailand, one needs to apply for a valid Thai visa to be able to enter and freely move within the country. Further, applying for a Thailand visa online is the most convenient way. Notably, Thailand visa for Indians can be obtained without much hassle.
Depending upon the purpose of the visit, there are different types of Thailand visa. While the TR visa category allows one to visit the country as a tourist, the MT visa category is required for short-term medical treatment in Thailand; lasting less than two months. In order to apply for a Thailand visa, one must fill up the visa application form and be ready with all the supporting documents. One can also apply for a Thailand visa online.
Some of the documents that are required to be submitted while applying for a visa include:
- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months is a must. The passport should also have two blank pages facing each other.
- Duly completed and signed Thailand visa application is mandatory. This should clearly state the type of Thailand visa one needs.
- Document checklist signed by the applicant must be shared.
- Two recent photographs of the applicant with a white background, are needed. The size of a photo should be 3.5 x 4.5 cm. Also, it should not be older than 3 months.
- Travel details and evidence of confirmed hotel/accommodation reservation in Thailand against the applicant’s name are required. If travelling in a group, one must provide a cover letter stating all names with passport numbers and place(s) to stay. If one wishes to stay with relatives or friends in Thailand, he/she must provide an invitation letter along with a copy of their Thai ID proof.
- The original bank passbook or the bank statement for the past 6 months is required. This must be attested by the bank and must have a minimum balance as stated by the Thai authorities.
- An international health certificate related to the yellow fever vaccination is required. This certificate is mandatory if an applicant is a resident of one of the 45 countries listed by the Thai authorities.
The minimum time required for processing a Thailand visa application is four days. Depending on the visa type, this can vary. After applying for a Thailand visa online, one can track the status of their visa application online on the Thailand visa portal.
If an individual is looking to apply for a long-term business visa in Thailand, he/she must submit the following documents:
- Thailand Visa fees paid in demand draft
- Original letter of employment from the applicant’s employer/company indicating the intention for travelling with the name of Thai company or organization (counterpart)
- Proof of membership in an Indian trade organization/ association (required for multiple entries)
- Proof of regular business dealings with the said Thai company (required for multiple entries)
- Confirmed flight tickets along with the return one for single entry and confirmed inbound tickets for multiple entries
- Confirmed hotel/accommodation reservation in Thailand against the applicant's name
- Original invitation letter from the company in Thailand (must be typed on company’s letterhead and signed by an authorized person)
- Original WP. 3 or Thor Tor 3 from the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor or visa approval letter from the Board of Investment (BOI) is required if the duration of stay exceeds 15 days.
Notably, all required documents must be duly translated and submitted in the Thai Language when applying for a business visa.
One of the popular destinations today, Thailand is a favourite among travellers who buy the Thailand tour packages to holiday here and to admire the natural beauty and the cultural wonders of this place. To enjoy the stunning beach island, the nightlife, and the popular Thai cuisine, people from all walks of life flock here in huge numbers.
To travel to Thailand you need to have a valid visa to enter the country. If the Thailand visa procedure may sound daunting, but don’t worry because neither is the process complicated nor does the Thailand visa fees cost a lot.
Types of Thailand visa
The Thailand visa types issued depends on your purpose of travel.
- Transit visa – This is granted to those passengers who are in transit in Thailand. It is also issued to the sports players who are non-professional and juvenile. The transit visa has a validity of 90 days with a maximum of 30 days stay.
- Tourist visa – The tourist visa is issued for 60-days which can be either a single-entry or multiple entry visa.
- Non-Immigrant visa - The visa has a validity of 90 days and is issued for a single entry to Thailand. The visa can be extended.
- One Year Non-Immigrant visa – The visa is issued for multiple entries into Thailand and is valid for 1 year. It allows you to stay for 90 days and after every 90 days, you need to get a visa run.
- Marriage vsa and Retirement visa – Direct application for this kind of visa does not exist. For a marriage visa, you need to be married to a Thai national. To get a retirement visa you need to be over 50 years of age. It is a 1-year renewable visa.
- Business visa - The visa is issued to those who are interested in legally doing business in Thailand.
- Permanent Resident visa - It is mandatory to stay in Thailand for 3 consecutive years with a one-year extension for this category of visa.
Documents required for Thailand visa
Forget the long and tedious process of applying for a Thailand visa offline. E-visa is the best way to apply for a Thailand visa. This Thailand visa process is not only easy but also fast. The process is seamless and your visa gets delivered to your inbox.
Here are the Thailand visa documents as per the Thailand visa requirements that need to be uploaded to apply for a Thailand visa:
- Coloured copy of the front and back of your passport. The passport should have a validity of 6 months from the date that you enter Thailand
- Passport sized coloured photo against a white background. The photograph should be taken without any headgear, spectacles, etc.
- Return flight ticket
- Copy of all the accommodation bookings in Thailand
The Thailand visa process and approval takes around 3 to 5 working days. If the immigration officer asks for additional documents then this could delay the visa processing.
At the time of Thailand immigration the following Thailand visa documents needs to be carried:
- Your original passport
- Printout of Thailand e-visa
- Return or an onward air ticket
- Proof of accommodation
Thailand visa fees
Here is the Thailand visa information and fees. The Thailand visa fees will depend on the kind of visa that is applied for.
- The visa charges for Thailand transit visa is INR1900. The validity of the visa is for 3 months permitting one to stay for not more than 30 days.
- A single-entry tourist visa is for INR 2500 with a validly of 3 months. The permitted stay is for a maximum of 60 days.
- A multiple-entry tourist visa is for INR 12000 with 6 months validity. The permitted stay is not more than 60 days in each entry.
- The non-immigrant visa for single entry is for INR 5000 with a validity of 3 months. One is permitted to stay for not more than 90 days under this visa.
- The non-immigrant visa for multiple entries is for INR 12000 with a 6 month or 1-year validity. The permitted stay under this visa is for not more than 90 days.
- The three-year non-immigrant visa B is for INR 24000 with 3-year validity. The permitted stay is for not more than 90 days for each entry.
Thailand Visa centres in India
There are separate Thailand visa centres that carry the Thailand visa procedure in New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, and Mumbai.
- The Royal Thai Embassy – New Delhi assesses the visa applications submitted in Delhi, Chandigarh Gurgaon, Jaipur, and Jalandhar.
- The Royal Thai Consulate-General Chennai assesses the visa applications submitted in Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Cochin.
- The Royal Thai Consulate-General Kolkata assesses the visa applications submitted in Kolkata.
- The Royal Thai Consulate-General Mumbai assesses the visa applications submitted in Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, and Goa.
Make sure to get the Thailand visa information and locate your nearest centre for Thailand visa application. After applying to the Visa Application Centre, track your visa application online.